Sorry for the delay, but here comes my second part of my year in review, my movies. Now, unlike music, which is much mroe accessible to listen to than to watch a new movie, there is no "top 20." Instead, I will look at the 15 movies I watched in theaters this year (2 of which are actually 2007 movies). The movies do not need to be released in 2008 to be on here, I just need to see them in 2008. For example, I plan to see Valkyrie after the New Year, so that will be included in the 2009 review.
Previous Winners
2006- The Devil Wears Prada
2007- Knocked Up
Now here goes the list, in reverse order starting with the worst.
#15 AVP: Reqiuem (Released in 2007)
A WASTE of time. So bad, and sad at the same time because I lvoe the Alien franchise and enjoy the Predator franchise. But this movie has TERRIBLE lighting!!! I couldn't see what was going on 95% of the time. Not to mention a horrible story, horrible acting, and horrible....everythign else lol. Please do not watch this. IT WILL MAKE YOUR EYES BLEED!!!!!
Rating: Two thumbs wayyyy down....shoving this film to the most bottomless pit in hell.
#14 Untraceable
Here we go again, another gross the hell otu of people and lack substance "horror" movie. Only problem is it isn't scary...or very realistic on that account. I'll give Diane Lane credit for trying to act well, but in the end she probably realized how ridiculous this movie was. Still, I watched it to be grossed out and it succeeded.
Rating: Two thumbs down, but not in AVP range lol
#13 The Day The Earth Stood Still
I smelt this bust coming from a mile away. The original, which I LOVE, was more about the message, story, and substance than this horrendous remake, which was about special effects (which were ok, not great though) and also mediocre everything else. Plus I liked the original being in black and white lol.
Rating: One thumb down (saved by special effects)
#12 The Eye
Creepy movie, very creepy movie. But the sad part was I didn't no what was going on half the time. OK, lady gets new eye. New eye is kinda doing weird things. After that, when Jessica Alba and friend go out on there search, I got bored and lost. Story was lousy, but it's ok because it's a "horror" film and it was slightly creepy.
Rating: One thumb down
#11 Eagle Eye
From one eye to the next, we go to Eagle Eye. This movie looked excitign from the trailers, but once the actual film got going, I jsut didn't get into it. The overall synopsis of super computers controlling others sounded inritguing on paper, but I jsut never was excited when the action was played out. Eagle Eye wasn't bad, it jsut wasn't my cup of tea
Rating: Thumbs sit apathetically in uncomfortable theater seat
#10 Vantage Point
A movie that I again liked the premise of, but in the end it just didn't deliver to me. At first sight, I enjoyed it watching the same event over and over again. But seriously, I look back on it and realize wow, the whole movie could have ended in 20 minutes. The movie tried to be Oscar gold and didn't come close, but oh well, it gets a top 10 on here
Rating: One thumb slightly (VERY slightly) up
#9 Wanted
This movie was a hell of a ride. Not much of a story, but a straight up hard ass action flick with awesome special effects. Why so low??? Because I think movies should have a total package, this had action, effects, and nothing else. Still, I recomend it to action lovers.
Rating: One thumb up
#8 Marley and Me
My most recent film seen, the cute one about a really disobdient but loving dog and a growing family, was sad but good. I thought it was enjoyable and though the plot was choppy, I felt that everything else worked fine. I didn't cry at the end, but others did and there were quite a few in numbers. Not a top notch film, but good family fun,
Rating: One thumb up
#7 21
This movie was another kick-ass movie, but unlike Wanted, it delivered a plot and better acting. Based off of a true story, this movie is about card counting in blackjack, but with some unexpectedly sweet action and fun in between. Definitly watch this film, it's a blast!!
Rating One thumb up
#6 The Strangers
Here is where people throw roteen tomatoes at me (bad joke there). I really enjoyed this film though!!! I felt the plot worked and everythign was typical horror, but the kicker here is that it was actually old-school SCARY. Like back in the day before gore fest like Saw, this is what was considered horror. For that I sing praise to this film, best horror movie since Wolf Creek (2004).
Rating: One thumb up
#5 Dark Knight
Oh no, more tomatoes??? Why is this film so low on my lsit you ask?? Because of that compelte package deal I talked about earlier. This movie has THE BEST acting of the year. The effects were GREAT as well. Unfortunatly, the plot was CHOPPY!!! I keep saying that and I'm getting turned down. This movie went too deep into the psychological aspect and that's what killed it. So, sorry Dark Knight buffs.
Rating: One thumb up
#4 Cloverfield
Hey, something semi-original!!! Monster movies are rare nowadays, but this film was a blast and halfway scary. The movement of the handheld camera ALA Blair Witch was key in factoring how good this film was. Plus add in that there was a feel of realism in this film that is missing in older monster movies ALA Godzilla
Rating: Two thumbs up for innovation
#3 Mamma Mia!
This IS the most fun movie I saw all year. The people in the theater played into this factor, everyone had a blast and it made me want to see te musical. But in any case, decnetly good singing, awesome songs, and a story I could easily follow. What a great film, I highly recommend it, even for guys.
Rating, Two thumbs up
#2 Iron Man
BETTER than Dark Knight. Why? It has a much better, linear plot. I know people may disagree, but I felt Iron Man and equally good effects and a better plot, though DK has it beat in acting. Still both are very enjoyable movies, I jsut thought Iron Man was better
Rating: Two thumbs up
#1 Juno
My film of the year, technically it came out in 2007 though. Fabulous acting, great storyline and an even better message about life. This film really touches the heart and, unlike Marley, has the intangibles to back it up. Congrats to Juno for being my top movie for 2008!!!
Tonight will be my top sports moments for each sport, I promise!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment