Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 in Review (Part 3 of 6) Top Sports Moments (Overall)

Hey guys, I know I have fallen way behind on these blogs, but I am going to catch up by the end of Saturday. In any case, tonight I will go over my top sports moments of 2008. I will do my review of my favorite teams in a seperate blog. So here we go


Baseball
Last Year- Phillies win NL East over Mets
This Year- Last All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium

No offense to the hometown Phillies, and yeah this is kidn of biased, but the best moment of this past season was the extra long 15 inning all-star game at Yankee Stadium, it was such a fun game to watch and the ceremonies before the game were amazing. This was the icing on the cake of a memorable New York Yankee season.


Football
Last Year- Bears-Colts Rain Bowl
This Year- David Tyree's Catch

It was the second best Super Bowl I have ever seen (only second to Super Bowl XXXVI). The catch by Tyree though, what a play!!! Eli made an amazing scramble and Tyree with the ridiculous catch!! Capped off a really good game.


Basketball
Last Year- Golden State Upsets Dallas
This Year- Lakers-Celtics

I'll admit, unless the matchup is something noteworthy or Toronto is playing, I won't always watch the NBA. However, Boston-Los Angeles was something special as I saw a display of some of the best (and best of all hard working) players in the game. Yeah, I hate the Boston Celtcis, but mostly because they are so good, the best team since the Bulls of the 90's.


Hockey
Last Year- The Not So Mighty Ducks Win the Cup
This Year- Penguins-Sabres in the Great Outdoors

It's funny, today was the second incarnation of the Winter Classic and though it was enjoyable, nothing will top the great game between Buffalo and Pittsburgh. It was close all the way through and seeing a game played through a wind blown snow and players fight through the elements and play hard was great. If only the Penguins lost....


Tennis
Last Year- Venus Takes Down Bartoli at Wimbledon
This Year- Nadal and Federer Marathon at Center Court of Wimbledon

The GREATEST match I ever saw. Rafal Nadal and Roger Federer played a match that lasted for many hours and was so well played that no one really had a handle on the match for an extended period of time. It was an incredible match and an incredible win for Nadal, who finally won a Wimbledon title.


NASCAR
Last Year- Harvick edges Martin at 500
This Year- Jimmie Johnson wins third title

What a run for Jimmie Johnson. He became jsut the second driver to ever win third straight NASCAR titles. I have a lot of respect for Johnson, who may not be the best driver, but he drives with heart, as by far the best overall team, and most of all has class. That's all I can ask for in a champion.


That's it!!! I am not including the Olympics because I don't feel like it (Phelps' gold medals would win if you're wondering) and other psort I did not watch enough of. Tomorrow is the WORST of 2008. So long for now.

No comments: